Prevent Chimney Fires (Información Seguida En Español)

Published

Before you sit in front of the fireplace for the first time this season, have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional. The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) recommends having your chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional every year before lighting the first fire to be as safe as possible.  

 

Chimney Fires

Wood-burning fires can accumulate a buildup of creosote on the interior walls of the chimney. Creosote is a natural result of the combustion process and is highly flammable. It’s formed from unburned wood particles that create a brown or black sticky, tar-like residue that sticks to the inside of the chimney. It only builds up more over time, so every time you use your fireplace it thickens. Just 1/8 inch of buildup can cause a chimney fire.
 
Your chimney is not meant to contain fire—only smoke. If there’s a chimney fire, your chimney can crack and break, which may cause the fire to spread to the rest of the house.   
 
Chimney fires can also result from blockages from outside sources. Birds, squirrels, raccoons, and other critters may make their nests in your chimney. These nests are made of flammable materials: fur, feathers, twigs, feces, etc. These need to be cleared out of your chimney before any fires are lit. If you have an uncapped chimney, these blockages may be more common.   
  

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

When you burn a fire, you are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. This is why you should make sure your chimney has proper ventilation and airflow. If your chimney is blocked, toxic gases like carbon monoxide will go back into your home rather than out through the chimney. Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous. It is known as the “silent killer” because you can’t see, smell, or taste it in the air.   
 
Carbon monoxide poisoning has similar symptoms to the flu: headaches, dizziness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. It takes just 1-2 hours to feel these symptoms. If you start noticing these symptoms, it’s very important to leave your house to get fresh air immediately and call 9-1-1. After 3-5 hours of exposure to carbon monoxide, you could pass out or even die.   
 
Prevent carbon monoxide in your house by having your chimney inspected, cleaned, and safe before use.
 
In addition to smoke detectors, your home should also have carbon monoxide alarms throughout the house that can detect the presence of CO in the air.  
 
If you have any questions or want more information, please contact your friends at the Carbondale Fire District.

 


 

Prevenir Incendios en Chimeneas

   
Antes de sentarse frente a la chimenea por primera vez esta temporada, contrate un profesional para que limpie e inspeccione su chimenea. La Agencia Nacional de Protección contra Incendios (NFPA) recomienda que un profesional limpie e inspeccione su chimenea cada año antes de encender el primer fuego para que sea lo más segura posible.
  

Chimeneas

Chimeneas con lena puede acumular creosota en las paredes interiores de la chimenea. La creosota es un resultado natural del proceso de combustión y es altamente inflamable. Se forma de partículas de madera no quemada creando un residuo pegajoso marrón o negro, similar al alquitrán que se adhiere al interior de la chimenea. Se acumula más con el tiempo, por lo que cada vez que usa su chimenea se espesa. Solo 1/8 de pulgada de acumulación puede causar un incendio en la chimenea.
 
Su chimenea no está desenada a contener el fuego, solo humo. Si hay un incendio en la chimenea, su chimenea puede agrietarse y romperse, lo que puede hacer que el fuego se propague al resto de la casa.  
 
Los incendios de chimeneas también pueden ser el resultado de bloqueos de fuentes externas. Pájaros, ardillas, mapaches y otros animales pueden hacer sus nidos en su chimenea. Estos nidos están hechos de materiales inflamables: piel, plumas, ramas, heces, etc. Estos deben ser retirados de su chimenea antes de que se enciendan los fuegos. Si tiene una chimenea sin tapa, estos bloqueos pueden ser más comunes.
  

Intoxicación por Monóxido de Carbono

Cuando quema un incendio, corre el riesgo de intoxicación por monóxido de carbono. Es por eso que debe asegurarse de que su chimenea tenga una ventilación y un flujo de aire adecuado. Si su chimenea está bloqueada, los gases tóxicos como el monóxido de carbono volverán a su hogar en lugar de salir por la chimenea. El monóxido de carbono es extremadamente peligroso. Se le conoce como el “asesino silencioso” porque no se puede ver, oler ni habrá un sabor en el aire.  
 
La intoxicación por monóxido de carbono tiene síntomas similares a los de la gripe: dolores de cabeza, mareos, malestar estomacal, vómito, dolor en el pecho y confusión. Se tarda sólo 1-2 horas para sentir estos síntomas. Si comienza a notar estos síntomas, es muy importante salir de su casa para tomar aire fresco de inmediato y llamar al 9-1-1. Después de 3-5 horas de exposición al monóxido de carbono, puede desmayarse o incluso morir.  
 
Prevenga el monóxido de carbono en su casa haciendo que su chimenea sea inspeccionada, limpiada y segura antes de usarla.
 
Además de los detectores de humo, su hogar también debe tener alarmas de monóxido de carbono en toda la casa que puedan detectar la presencia de monóxido de carbono en el aire.
 
Si tiene alguna pregunta o desea obtener más información, comuníquese con sus amigos en el Distrito de Bomberos de Carbondale.

[promo-list perpage="1" orderby="random" category="bottom-of-post"]